Saturday, January 29, 2011

Too Hot for Burma

One of the biggest perks of staying in a fancy Burmese hotel was the Al Jazeera network (only available at the Katumadi Dynasty Hotel in Bagan) and Movies on Channel 5.

Myanmar (Burma) Beer
Channel 5 played movies, mostly American, 24/7.  After a long day of navigating the streets of Burma, coming back to the hotel to an air-conditioned room with a 40 ounce of Myanmar beer and watching Channel 5 became the moment of the day where I could exhale.  It just seemed like every other channel was either some distorted version of the news: Today Lieutenant Colonel XXX donated 10,000 pencils to XXX Primary School or a ridiculous Burmese drama: But I'm in love with him and you can't stop me!  However, my new-found comfort was an uneasy one.

On Day 2, during a communal pre-dinner nap, I woke up before my roommates and turned on the tube.  (Is it possible that I am the annoying roommate?)  To my excitement, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is showing on the movie channel.  When it debuted, this movie was given poor reviews that criticized its snail-like pace and plot development, but visually, it is serious eye candy.  Who isn't curious what an aged Brad Pitt looks like?  And who doesn't want to see him get hotter over the course of 166 minutes?  I might add that Cate Blanchett looks flawless, the setting is romantic, and the wardrobing is impeccable.  I savored watching the interaction of a senior Benjamin and child Daisy.  The distorted visual of the old man and young girl pushes your threshold for what love should look like and you ache for Benjamin to be normal.  Although I have seen this movie a few times, I still look forward to part when they both meet in the middle (at a comparable age, of course) and consummate their relationship.  As I watched this scene unroll in my jet lagged stupor, the great moment came, and it was skipped!  Watching this movie on Channel 5 actually left me craving more. 

On Day 3, our nap times finally started coordinating, and we watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine together.  Do you remember the scene where Hugh Jackman, err Logan undergoes an operation to reinforce his skeleton with adamantium?  He is laying on the operating table, with a sheet draped on the lower half of his body.  The camera pans in closer and reveals that he is shirtless.  The viewers can see his pecs, but as the camera scans lower on his body, Hugh Jackman's abs are censored!  I know I've seen shirtless men on Burmese TV before, but Hugh Jackman's abs are deemed too sexy for Burma.  Is it abs in general?  Do they have to be a six-pack or as they say in France, une barre de chocolat (you gotta love the French) to be censored?  Who is the gatekeeperIs it because Jackman was laying down, which is perceivably (is this a word?) more sexual a position than standing up?

I am flabbergasted.  I wonder if the Burmese watch Channel 5 movies in a state of confusion, or do they not even realize something is missing?  Can you miss something you've never experienced?  Is this what it's like to be a citizen of Burma?  Do you crave the freedoms that other people have?  Are you resigned to accept the limitations of this life or do you dare to hope for more?

The next day I wore Randy's shirt, and when it became unbearably hot, I tied the front into a knot.  I was reprimanded by David.  Hadn't we learned anything from Hugh Jackman?  Clearly my abs are also too hot for Burma.  

Trish, Randy, David (Old Bagan)

No comments:

Post a Comment